Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Time to add more rock and roll!

So after looking at the boring aquascape I have in my Biocube ,I decided I really wanted to add more live rock to the Reefer Madness.

I took a trip down to visit my friend Paul at T n T Reef and Fish. , they have a great selection of Fuji live rock and Tonga branch rock. Took me about 30 mintues to pick out the right pieces.
I'm starting to learn you really have to inspect all live rock for unwanted hitchhikers and don't settle for just any piece of rock. I'm wanting a unique look  

Tonga branch live rock is a form of rock found in the Pacific Ocean around the island of Tonga and Fuji. Saught after by saltwater hobbiest all around for it's branch look and it's ablity to host various small marine invertebrates such as, Mollusks, Crustaceans, Phytoplankton, Worms, Sponges, Starfish and Corals to name some.

By looking at my picture you will tell that the color of the new rock isn't the same as the others ,but over time that will change once coralline algae starts to  grow on it.

Live rock is like opening up a box of Cracker Jacks...you never know what kind of surprices you'll get!
I noticed some nice feather duster worms and corals on the pieces I picked out.


No comments:

Post a Comment